Planning to shop for some classy, bespoke leather goods! Few important considerations should be kept in mind before making your pick. You should know exactly what to look for in your leather jacket, shoes or that stylish handbag.
Here is a quick guide to leather shopping. Out of the general types of leather based on their quality, full grain leather is the best leather money can buy. This is followed by top grain leather, which is the second highest grade of leather. Here are the top 10 reasons why you should buy full grain or top grain leather
- Quality: Both are grades of highest quality leather. Full grain leather comes from the top layer of hide and includes all of the natural grain. While Top grain leather has outermost layer of hide removed, making it thinner and more workable for the manufacturers.
- Appearance: Full grain leather is not sanded, buffed or snuffed at all. The entire grain is taken with all imperfections and inherent toughness of the material. While natural grain from the top surface of Top grain leather is sanded away, to give it a more uniform and appealing look.
- Durability: Full grain leather is extremely strong, durable and very breathable – as it contains the strongest fibres in the hide. Top grain leather is also quite durable and is used vastly in designer branded purses and wallets.
- Ageing: Full grain leather develops a rich patina as it ages. It looks and feels more beautiful with every use. Top grain leather has a coating to protect it from stains, though it does not age that well.
- Cost: Full grain leather, though typically much more costlier than other grades, is your one time investment. If you buy a full grain leather product, you can own it for life time. Top grain leather is less expensive and can be your excellent companion for a while.
- Extensive usage: Full grain leather is used widely for dress belts, briefcases, dress shoes, duffle bags et cetera. Top grain leather is a preferred choice for wallets and designer women purses.
If you are looking for good quality leather that lasts for a lifetime, then Full grain and Top grain should be your preferred pick. Avoid leathers graded as genuine or bonded leather. These are definitely low-grade leathers at low price which are not durable and of poor quality. These are cheaper options in the leather industry.